Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Understanding Australians

I must write something about how difficult it is for a Filipino to understand Aussies' accent and slang. When I'm in a conversation with some Aussies, I find myself in full concentration mode... with all my processors working overtime in deciphering the lingo. I don't mean to disparage them really... after all I'm the newcomer and they've been speaking like this for eons.

Here's an excerpt of a conversation I had with another Filipino who's been struggling with it:

- watch out for the flies. You know the hats they sell at the souvenir stores with the corks hanging around? thats not decor- thats to shoo away the flies- you turn your head and the corks swing around to ward off the langaws. Its my theory that Ozs talk with a mummble because they'd be eating the flies if they open their mouths wide.

David Valdes:

Ha ha ha... good one... especially the mumbling part. minsan ang hirap nilang intindihan. And don't ever let them spell out words that you dont understand. It's even worse! This morning I asked an agent where the house for rent was... I couldnt understand her so I asked her to spell it out: E-m-e-r-o-o Street daw... hanap ako ng hanap ng Emeroo... wala naman!

Finally nahanap ko na... Amaroo street pala. Ano ba yan?!?

No comments: